Friday, June 13, 2014

God Can Use Feet of Clay

This Sunday is Father's Day!

Every time I approach this day of recognition, I am filled with gratitude that God allowed me to be a father and I am so grateful for each member of my family.  At the same time, I always wish that I could have been a better dad as my kids grew up.

Although, I am encouraged when I look at Scripture and see that God often used men who undoubtedly had feet of clay.  King David has always been a conundrum of sorts to me.  His life reflected the heights of total devotion to the Lord, and it also revealed the depths of failure when the Lord is not kept in proper focus.  Yet, through it all God declared that David was a man after His own heart, "And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.  Of this man's seed hath God according to his promise raised unto Israel a Saviour, Jesus:" (Acts 13:22-23).  Moses is also an example of a great man of God who suffered moments of indignity and failure, yet there is no doubt that he was used mightily by the Lord.

Throughout my life, I have been blessed by the influence of men who helped to mold my life.  My own father illustrated the necessity of dedicated hard work.  My Granddaddy Vann showed that you can find humor (even if it's sarcastic) in almost every situation.  My Granddaddy Daniels showed love and devotion even in the midst of personal struggles.

I am also thankful for those men that God used to influence my life in spiritual matters.  Charles Faust was the faithful Sunday School teacher that taught my class, even when I was the only student present and encouraged me to trust Christ.  Raymond Hancock, the pastor of Providence Baptist Church, was used by God to challenge me to surrender to God's will and make my life count for the Lord.  God brought Daylon Moore to work with our Youth when I was an angry and confused young man.  Mr. Moore became a mentor, teacher, and father figure at a crucial moment in my life.  I will always be thankful for the investment he made in my life.  Dr. Merle Huffmaster, one of my Bible college professors, was used by God to not only teach me Biblical truths, but he was also a role model for the appropriate pastorate.  Jim Wade, who would become my father-in-law, was also a source of inspiration and served as a wonderful role model.  I am so thankful that he welcomed me into his family and loved me as a son.  He was perhaps one of the most consistent Christians that I ever had the privilege of knowing.  His legacy lives on in our family.

In recent years, God also used a number of other men to help and encourage my life.  Wayne Robertson befriended  me when I was new to the state of Georgia and gave me a number of opportunities to serve the Lord in a broader way.  Wayne Hamrick became a very special friend and example to my life.  His passion for growing Sunday Schools was infectious and his devotion to God's Word, God's work, and God's people was unquestionable.

Some of the men that I have cited lived exemplary lives and others faced times of criticism, yet God used each of them.  It encourages my heart to know that God can take every man and use him, if he is willing to surrender his life under the direction of the Holy Spirit.  We may all realize that we have feet of clay, yet God is willing and able to use our earthen vessels for His glory "For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.  For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.  But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us." (II Corinthians 4:5-7).  Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment